Friday 16 April 2010

Microwave poached eggs

When I first started uni, I was missing the egg poacher we had at home and set about trying to find the easiest method to poach eggs. I actually looked at this b3ta feature on how to do it, and yeah, the traditional method did not work for me either. Nor did vortexting it. So I settled with doing it in food wrap for a while, until it occurred to me that even the microwave safe stuff isn't actually supposed to come into contact with food when it cooks. I hadn't yet come across a Daily Mail scare warning me that boiled cling wrap gives you cancer, but I thought it best to stop doing that, and instead started poaching my eggs in a ladle (which works reasonably well, but means you have to hold the ladle the whole time).

However, a few days ago I found out how to make perfect poached eggs in the microwave, and it is SO easy. So here we go:

Get a bowl full of boiling water. Crack the egg in it. Microwave on high for 30 seconds to a minute (depending on the strength of your microwave and how well cooked you like your eggs. Ours is 700W and I like my eggs with the yolk completely runny, so I do it for about a minute). Remove from the water with a slotted spoon.

Don't even think about bothering with one of those awful plastic microwave egg poachers. I once bought one from tesco and the eggs came out all disgusting and rubbery. So yeah. If you like eggs, this will change your life. If not, then you're a disgrace. How can you not like eggs?! Get off my blog.

3 comments:

Mariko said...

I'm so gonna try this (but I gotta buy a slotted spoon)! I'm finally gonna get nice poached egg for the second time in my life lol. Ugh I was in Hilton Tokyo a year ago and ordered poached eggs at a buffet that ended up rubbery. Can't believe a hotel like Hilton serves rubbery poached eggs.

Miss Waffle said...

If you don't have a slotted spoon you could just pour it into a seive or something :P slotted spoons are useful though. Also apparently if you want to cook poached eggs and serve them later, you can transfer them to cold water so they don't continue cooking, and then reheat.

Enjoy your eggs ^^

Mariko said...

I bought a slotted spoon today because I'll need it in the future anyway. Would I reheat them in water again?

Might make the eggs tomorrow, I'll be sure to post up pictures on my blog so you can see how awesome your recipe is!